When Buckingham Reservoir was built in 1914, the original Coop Road was cut off by the newly-formed body of water. After this, Coop Road split into two: The Old Coop Road off of Old Hebron Ave and the new Coop Road built east on Hebron Ave near Rockwell Street.
In the 1970’s to early 1980’s, Coop Road was the center of a strong town debate. In 1972, the town abandoned 10 roads throughout the town, though the town originally considered 15. One of the five roads not abandoned was Coop Road.
The Manchester Water Company – who owned the nearby Buckingham Reservoir – the Town of Manchester, the Glastonbury Police Department and Glastonbury Town Manager Donald Peach were all in favor of abandoning the road. There were frequent issues of people trespassing onto the water company’s property and illegally swimming in the reservoir, along with littering along the road. Since the road was in such a remote area, the police needed to send two units to any issues in the area.
However, both residents and landowners along Coop Road opposed abandonment. It was voted on in 1972 and 1978 and both times, abandonment was shot down. In 1981, a recommendation came through to abandon the road beyond what was owned by town residents so they could still access their property.
Other notes: The town repaired the road in 1945 and in 1953, a chlorination plant was proposed along the road.
Parts of Coop Road still exists. The southern-most portion has two homes on it and is a popular access point to the reservoir for many hikers and bikers. The northern-most portion in Bolton, known as Coop-Sawmill Road, has three homes on it. But between those two points, gates have been put up to prevent automobile traffic.
Coop Road is one of four abandoned roads within the reservoir, joining Old Coop Road, Mountain Road and Rockwell Street. However, it is by far the longest, stretching over three miles while featuring the remains of seven homesteads, as well as an old sawmill and a few lost bridges.
The road used to connect to Mountain Road down near Coop Sawmill, before that road was also abandoned.
All historical information used obtained from the Hartford Courant historical archives.