Once the center of a small hamlet in the northeast Glastonbury, Coop Sawmill – like much of the land around Buckingham Reservoir – has faded into history.
Coop Sawmill is likely one of the oldest industries in Glastonbury, as it possibly began operating during colonial times and ran at least until 1874.
The mill probably wasn’t very big, although large enough to support a handful of families. In the immediate vicinity of the mill are foundations of three old houses. Two likely weren’t farmers based on the fact that one foundation is located on the side of a rocky slope, while the other abuts Roaring Brook. Farming around either of these houses would be next to impossible.
The dam used to power the mill can still be seen. It appears to have been broken in the middle, although the space in the middle could’ve been where the waterwheel turned. The dam is a mix of stone and dirt and looks like a large stonewall across a stream in its current state.
Just downstream from the dam are some stone foundations which is likely held the mill itself up. Besides these and a few iron scraps laying around, there aren’t many remains of the mill that can still be seen.