Woolen mills were common throughout Glastonbury in the 1800’s, with Eastbury Pond, Shoddy Mill, Cotton Hollow among some of the many producing mills producing linens and other fabric materials. One of the more forgotten carding mills from this age is the Buckingham Carding Mill, located nearby to the intersection of Hebron Avenue and Keeney Street – an area once known as “Hurlburt Corner”.
Few records are left of the mill aside from a mention on a plaque about Hurlburt Corner and on some old maps of Glastonbury. It was out of business and the dam broken by the time aerial photographs came around in the 1930’s.
The dam isn’t that large and it is mostly made of dirt with some stones mixed in. But on the southern bank of the stream, a 400-foot sluiceway travels out away from the dam. It winds through the forest before eventually coming to an end just before Keeney Street. It’s still imprinted into the earth well-enough to be visible from satellite maps and from the road in the winter.
The mill was also located close to the Howe Street School, which was situated where Hebron Avenue currently meets Chalker Hill and Keeney Street. The re-aligned of the road removed any traces of its existence.
On the opposite bank of the stream are the remains of an ancient house, owned by “GH” according to a 1874 map of Glastonbury.