Before Mountain Road ended as a cul-de-sac at the top of Minnechaug Mountain, that area was just a sharp turn on the road that happened to be the location of an old farm.
On a 1874 map of Glastonbury, the location is referred to as “MrsDHouse”, likely the owner at the time. Most of the house was paved over by the cul-de-sac, thought parts of the foundation of the house and other smaller buildings are still visible.
On the north end of the cul-de-sac, a concrete foundation is still visible beneath a thicket (making photos difficult). On the other side, a slight stone wall from the barn foundation sticks out of the leaves. In the woods beyond are a handful of concrete slabs from some other small, old buildings.
The house still stood in 1962 according to aerial photos but was gone by 1965. Now, a modern house is located a few yards to the north.
Next to Buckingham Carding Mill and just feet from Keeney Street sits the ancient remains of a house. Owned by “GH” according to a 1874 map of Glastonbury, the former home has been abandoned for a long time.
The remains of the chimney are simply a pile of rubble and the walls of the foundation can barely be seen anymore. On one side of the house is a concrete structure and has a pipe sticking out of it. It’s purpose is unknown but it’s the only part of the house that hasn’t totally collapsed on itself.
Riverfront Park looks a lot different than it did at the turn of the 20th century. The crown jewel of Glastonbury was once one of the industrial centers of the town, home to multiple coal-powered mills. The area where the park now stands was a perfect spot; Located right next to the river there was plenty of access, but the bank was high enough that flooding wasn’t a major issue.
While the remnants of these days are mostly gone, there are a few reminders of the time. The most obvious is the coal dock located behind the community center, however there is a second, smaller reminder.
A small, brownstone wall sits in the middle of the reconstruction of the boardwalk. It seemed like it could’ve even been apart of the project. However, it predates the entire park by nearly a century.
One of the mills along the Connecticut River was the Riverside Paper Company. Ships came up the river and brought raw materials to make the goods and export the finished products. The Riverside Paper Company gave a steamboat company an acre of land to build a landing near their mill. When this was completely, a freighthouse was built to store materials, ranging from book covers to record sleeves.
All that remains now is two sides of the foundation, a small brownstone wall about ten feet down from the boardwalk. It can be seen easily from the new signage, which gives a detailed history of the landings that once existed at Riverfront Park.
Rockwell Street is one of a handful of old, abandoned roads that wind through the forests surrounding the Buckingham Reservoir. It mostly traveled North-South, parallel to Hebron Avenue by roughly 100 yards.
In 1972, the town voted to abandon the entire 4,000-foot long road along with nine other roads in town.
Rockwell Street still exists in most places. The southern end is now the driveway to Candlewick Kennels in the same location as Coop Road. The northern end is closed off by a gate just off Hebron Ave. This part of the road is marked by towering pines that line the road and beautiful stonewalls that run through the forest.
There was just a single house located on the road, on the northern-most bend towards Hebron Avenue. The ruins of a house and barn can still be seen in a clearing next to a giant tree that likely stood when the land was settled. It’s unclear which ruins are the house and barn.
The ruins closest to the road are stone foundations that have mostly succumbed to nature. It’s long and narrow with plenty of scrap metal scattered in and around. On one end of the foundation is an open well, covered only by a rotting pallet and large rock. The well is still in great shape and deep enough where the bottom can’t be seen.
The other ruins are larger and mostly made of concrete. There are different levels to the foundation that make it appears as if additions were built on over time.
A driveway peels off of Rockwell Street and heads into the fields that once surrounded the house. These walls can still be seen and are still in fine condition. The fields are still mostly open as the forest has only recently began to re-take it.
The house was once located on Coop Rd, but when Buckingham Reservoir was built, the road was cut-off midway through. Coop Rd was the rebuilt further up Hebron Ave, and Old Coop Rd became an access road to the reservoir.
The center chimney is still in decent shape considering the age of the house. The base still rises about five feet while half of the chimney still reaches 10 feet. Three sides of the foundation are still standing while the third has mostly collapsed. About 20 yards from the house is a stone post with notches cut in it. The stonewall that marked the boundaries of the yard can still be seen as well.
While the exact timeframe for the house is unknown, the center chimney dates it back to colonial times. It is unknown when the house was abandoned as well, however a map from 1934 shows it still standing. A separate map from 1874 notes the house is owned by an E.J. Goslee, one of seven Goslees living in the area of Old Hebron Avenue.
In a Sunday, April 17, 1955 advertisement in the Hartford Courant, the property is listed and it implies the house has been abandoned for a few years. The ad reads:
“Buckingham Palace”. On Old Coop Road. Lot approximately 240 x 300. Old house with excellent foundation, field stone fireplace, lumber that can be salvaged. Dug well. Price $2900