Albasi Dam: Located in the heights of Birch Mountain, Albasi Dam holds back the water of Albasi Pond. More information on this dam is unknwon.
Buckingham Reservoir: Built by the Cheney Family in 1924 for their silk mills, the reservoir is now used by the Manchester Water Company. Since it’s still in use, it’s not considered a ruin.
Chalker Hill Dam: A small dam located on private property. Built after the 1930’s.
Chestnut Hill Reservoir: Once one of four main reservoirs in town, it has since been greatly downsized and is now located in a residential area without any access points. Vestiges still remain from the reservoir, including a tall concrete structure.
Coldbrook Reservoir: Another one of the four main reservoirs in town, Coldbrook Reservoir has recently been purchased by the Town of Glastonbury from the MDC but fences still surround it, making it difficult to access. You can see the dam here.
East Pine Dam: A dam located between the eastern shore of Buckingham Reservoir and Coop Road.
Fawn Dam: Just west of the intersection of Hopewell Rd and Chestnut Hill Rd is a small dam in the woods.
Grindle Brook Mill: Located in South Glastonbury, this dam likely powered grist mills that crushed stone from the nearby quarries in the area. This dam can be seen from Main Street across from Great Pond Road.
Welles Dam: A small stone dam located in the woods behind Gideon Welles School located on private property.
Hazel Pond Dam: A long dam located behind the Wassuc Schoolhouse on Wassuc Road. The purpose of this dam is unknown and it is located on private property.
JB Williams Soap Factory: The company that started Lectric Shave and was one of the largest soap companies in the world is now apartments, much like Addison Mill. The dam can still be seen, but since it’s used by the apartments, as well as being inaccessible, it is not considered a ruin. You can see the dam and the rest of the mill here.
Nayaug Spar Mill: The dam has mostly been removed, but remains can still be seen from the Water Street bridge. Any ruins are located on private property.
Old Keeney Reservoir: Once one of four reservoirs in town, the dam was dismantled in the mid-1900’s. A large earthen embankment still remains, but that is all that is known about this location.
Red Hill Dam: There is a dam here, but information on this dam is unknown. It is located near a residential area and cannot be accessed.
Roaring Brook Paper Compnay: The ruins of Buck’s Corner Dam are located on private property, therefore inaccessible. However, the dam can still be seen from New London Turnpike, especially during non-foliage months and on satellite maps.
Roser’s Tannery: Located just off New London Turnpike, Roser’s Tannery is in the process of being converted into apartments. The dam may have been rebuilt as new concrete was poured around it. Either way, it is not a ruin.
Smith Dam: This dam is located in the woods of the Buttonball neighborhood, but is likely unaccessible.
Stanley Dam: Located in a ravine off of Stanley Drive, the dam is still mostly intact but the mill pond is gone. Located in open space, but access is limited.
Upper Addison Dam: Located in the woods behind Smith Middle School, there appears to have been a small dam just north of the larger Addison Pond.
Weir Sawmill: Two dams are located at this site, once an old sawmill. However it is located on a homeowner’s property and cannot be accessed. The upper dam can still be seen in the non-foliage months from Weir Street.
Wood Pond Dam: Just up the road from Chesnut Hill Reservoir, there is a small earthen dam on one end.
If you can access any of these sites, have information on any of these sites or know of any sites I didn’t cover, use the “CONTACT” button on the top of the page to let me know. Any tips would be much appreciated.
To see where these dams are located, check out the map below: