Before the dawn of cars, planes and trains, rivers were the best mode of transportation for people and goods. Glastonbury has the perfect location along the Connecticut River, using it to ship goods from the many mills on the town.
The South Glastonbury Dock was once a hub of activity, located just south of the ferry. From 1892-1931, this dock was used to unload people and cargo for the local paper mills. The steamships “Hartford” and “Springfield” were the ships that used the dock (Glastonbury Historical Society).
At certain times, the remains of the dock can be seen when the river is low enough. The wood has mostly rotted away, but the base of the posts are still sticking out of the mud.
They were one of three docks in Glastonbury, along with a coal dock just north and the ones at Riverfront Park.